When it comes to the recruiting process, hiring (and retaining) top candidates can be challenging. While you might assume your general recruiting practices are fine the way they are, when was the last time your reviewed how you’re doing? Are you really up to date? It’s not just about knowing the trends, it’s also about applying them to fit your unique circumstances and situations.
In addition, is everyone who needs to be involved in the process informed about trends, practices, tools and programs? It’s important for the whole team to be involved, otherwise you could encounter certain issues during the hiring process—which makes it more difficult to interest, engage and hire the best candidates.
While it sounds like common sense, it’s worth repeating—a smoother, more efficient process benefits your company, enhances the candidates experience and could be the difference between a candidate accepting your offer, or declining it.
Just about now you might be thinking, “easier said than done.” As a nationwide human capital management provider with more than 20 years in the business, we’re here to make it easier for you—which is why we’ve compiled 5 easy steps to find and fix problems in your hiring process. While this is by no means an exhaustive how-to article, we give you pertinent tips on what you need to help make your hiring process more efficient (and less exhausting).
Step 1 – Candidate Journey Mapping: Create personas and user feedback surveys.
Candidate journey mapping allows you to step into the shoes of your applicants. It’s a visual means that can aid you in improving the experience and engagement of potential candidates from start to finish.
- Create candidate personas to understand different segments of your applicant pool and their unique journey experiences. A candidate persona is commonly a fictional representation of the model job candidate, detailing the perfect attributes for a particular position. You may create several or many personas based on the type of jobs for which you are hiring.
- Ask candidates for feedback and incorporate this feedback information (feedback surveys) at critical touchpoints in your hiring process to identify pain points and areas for your improvement—essentially uncovering areas where friction may be slowing down your hiring process. The MP experts actively share feedback with clients on both the candidate and hiring manager journey experience.
Step 2 – Collecting and Analyzing Feedback.
Harness the power of a candidate’s feedback to drive improvements and unearth any hidden issues in your process.
- Use Net Promoter Score (NPS) surveys to gauge candidate satisfaction, which helps you gather and have a standard means to assess quantitative feedback.
- Conduct Exit Interviews with candidates who declined offers to uncover any hidden issues in your hiring process.
Step 3 – Process Automation and Workflow Optimization.
Automation can be a game changer, especially when applied to resume screening to help standardize and make the interview process more efficient.
- Automate resume screening using AI-driven tools to automate initial resume screening and shortlisting.
- Standardize your interview process with structured templates to eliminate bottlenecks and enhance any efficiencies, avoiding a break in the process. The MP team can mirror an existing client interview process or help them create an effective process utilizing best practices
Step 4 – Hiring Technology and Tool Evaluations.
Ensure your hiring processes are up to date by assessing new tools. Choosing the right tools is essential.
- Assess tool integration capabilities with your existing HR and Applicant Tracking System (ATS) tools to ensure a seamless data flow. MP partners with isolved to offer customizable solutions to optimize every stage of the recruiting process.
- Trial Periods: Once you’ve thoroughly researched and chosen new recruiting technology, consider implementing these new programs/tools on a limited basis during defined trial periods. This gives you a chance to evaluate their impact on your systems before full-scale company adoption.
Step 5 – Candidate Communication and Transparency.
As with any process that incorporates human interaction and effective communication, defining timelines and encouraging candid feedback are key.
- Communication timelines are key to an efficient hiring process. Define clear timelines for candidate communication in order to manage candidate expectations throughout the hiring process.
- Hold feedback sessions with rejected candidates. Offer constructive feedback to rejected candidates, providing them with insights for future improvements. This will also help candidates leave the session with a positive impression of your company.
With these actionable steps, you have a good starting point for exploring various strategies to uncover and address friction in your hiring process. Whether it’s mapping the candidate journey or gathering feedback or automating tasks, selecting the right tools or improving communication, these 5 steps will help you to create a more efficient, candidate-centric recruitment process.
There’s a great deal more to be said and we’ll continue to bring you essential information, valuable insights, and actionable steps you can take to help improve and enhance your recruiting processes and strategies.
Learn how to improve and enhance your recruiting capabilities with MP’s technology in our upcoming webinar.
Keep up with the latest recruiting trends and best practices! Sign up to be the first to read our latest blogs, and learn about important upcoming webinars and MP and industry events.
Questions? Comments? Contact us today!
MP Recruiting – Wiring Businesses for Hiring
Hiring top talent is paramount to your organization’s success—but filling open positions can be a drain on internal resource who might otherwise be focused on other strategic initiatives. MP’s experienced
recruiting team will identify your hiring needs, align them with your business goals, and efficiently hire top talent for your organization. With a systematic, metrics-driven recruitment process, we produce fast results and deliver qualified candidates at a lower cost-per-hire than contingency or contract recruiters. Learn more about MP’s recruiting solution.
- The FLSA and Child Labor Regulations: The Department of Labor Steps Up Its Focus on Child Labor Violations
- Preparing for Upcoming FLSA Changes: Revisiting the FLSA, and the Importance of Complying with Overtime Regulations
- A Brief Review of the Changes to Form I-9 and Virtual Verification
- How to Boost Employee Engagement and Retention for Your Domestic and International Workforce (Hint: Streamline payroll processes)
- How to Improve Your Recruiting Processes: Enhancing Feedback Loops Among Teams, and Harnessing the Power of Automation
- ACA (5)
- BizFeed (6)
- Business Strategy (119)
- COBRA (5)
- Compliance (127)
- COVID-19 (93)
- Diversity (12)
- eBooks (19)
- Employee Engagement (33)
- Employee Handbooks (24)
- ERTC (29)
- FFCRA (7)
- HR (272)
- MP Insider (13)
- Payroll (65)
- PFML (9)
- PPP (24)
- PTO (5)
- Recruiting (48)
- Remote Work (39)
- Return to Work (33)
- Unemployment (1)
- Wellness (22)
- December 2023
- November 2023
- October 2023
- July 2023
- June 2023
- May 2023
- April 2023
- March 2023
- January 2023
- December 2022
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- July 2022
- June 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020